Does BIND 8.3.x Have This ?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 17:54:34 UTC 2003

Scottie Lu wrote:

> Does someone know What Version of BIND have this  Advisory ?
Quick look up of the common vunerability reference in the advisory....

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2003-0914

....says versions prior to 8.3.7.

Don't run Bind 8.

BIND 4 has been audited for BSD, and BIND 9 is better code, and there
are a couple of other better (than 8) DNS servers lurking.

And whilst BIND 9 is marginally slower than BIND 8 in some benchmarks,
in the real world it often performs better because it does the right
thing, spawns no children, and generally behaves nicer when bad things
happen.

Heck if we went purely on benchmarks, rather than real world performance
we'd all run MS DNS on NT4 (and I don't think you'd want that Pavel).

 Simon, still recovering from things running quicker on a lesser server
due to newer versions of Linux kernel and friends....