Dynamic website address

phil-news-nospam at ipal.net phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
Fri Dec 5 05:36:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:02:18 -0000 Pete Walker <pete.walker at adss.co.uk> wrote:

| The only reason I mentioned dynamic was because the guy hosting the site had
| attached a ps to his request stating that he could assign a static address
| if required - I took that to mean that some dynamics existed somewhere but
| if you say that his webserver will sort this out then I'm happy.

His web server may be able to do it for him, but it might have to be
configured to do that, depending on what he really wants (what he said
may not be what he really wants, due to a misunderstanding, which is
obviously present if he things an A record can hold a URL).

The web server will get a "Host:" header unless the browser is ancient.
It should be configured to use the appropriate directory document root
in that case.  If he has no control to get it configured that way (such
as it is being an ISP hosting only user home directory pages), then he
is out of luck and either has to live with telling people what the new
URL is, or redirect services from somewhere else via another IP address.