conditional forwarding HELP?

Thomas J. De Matteis Thomas.DeMatteis at nasa.gov
Fri Dec 5 19:07:09 UTC 2003

I was told that with Ver 9 of bind that there is conditional forwarding
available, but I just don't see it.  Could one of you give me some pointers?

Here's what I am faced with:

My group is behind our own little firewall, for many years we have had our own
DNS server as a primary behind the firewall to resolve the NATed IPs as well as
external IPs.  In this config if we wanted to resolve an IP address of a system
that belongs to my company that it outside of the firewall the system would
just do it via the root cache file.

Now, my company put up their own firewall and they are migrating to a split
DNS.  This will break my ability to lookup the systems behind the company
firewalls since my DNS server resolves their addresses from the root cache
file thereby using my company's external DNS server.  They will not allow my
DNS server to be a slave to their inside DNS server so that things would still
work.

Currently my systems are say mysystems.foo.com and my company is foo.com.
Where my company's systems are systemname.foo.com and the systems behind my
firewall are systemname.mysystems.foo.com.

So, given that my systems currently resolve the mysystems.foo.com domain and
all external domain how do I trap the requests to my company's domain, foo.com,
and resolve the name from my dns server by going to my company's internal dns
server?

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Thomas:-???