Analysis of DNS Management Systems

Bianca BiancaStolz at gmx.net
Fri Dec 5 22:34:22 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm quite new to the whole DNS subject. But the company I work for
wants me
to analyze and evaluate different solutions for DNS Management and DNS
Monitoring -
especially in association with Active Diractory and Win2K.I need your
expertise and
experience, please!

So if anyone has gained experience with using DNS Management in a
fairly big enterprise
(we have about 90 name servers), feel free to mail me back.

This is our current situation: 90 name server (all are master name
server) running on Win2K,
distributed worldwide and managed by QIP. We also use an alarming
system, BMC Patrol, for
keeping track of critical events.

There are two possible ways to look for improvement of our DNS
Monitoring:

- change the DNS Management System

- get deeper into the alarming system by using BMC's DNS Knowledge
Module

I'm supposed to take some prerequisites into consideration:

- it should be possible to integrate the software into our alarming
system, which is
BMC Patrol

- preferably, all log files (e.g. errors, messages, statistics) should
be stored and
accessible on a single host (remote server)

- prices and licensing agreements for using NetID-products should be
reasonable

- secure failover in case one of our DNS / DHCP servers goes down

- fast zone transfer if there's an update on one of our name servers,
especially checking
for correct SRV records

- fast error detection (proactive monitoring instead of reactive
monitoring)

- we need add-ons and tools to be able to check if a name server is up
or down
(a more ‘comprehensive' check; that is like querying the server a
default address to
check whether it resolves the address correctly) and to control
message flows, critical
events etc.

- possible extension of our domains resulting in additional name
servers (performance in
association with scaling)

- it would be important for us in the planning phase to view some
statistics data like
with the basic command ndc stats – maybe put into graphs

I'm looking forward to your replies. Many thanks in advance for your
interest!

Regards,

Bianca