Howto use the "root" Domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 5 23:37:01 UTC 2003

Falk Husemann wrote:

>Hello Newsgroup!
>I'm wondering if it is possible to use my root-Domain (bogus.com fo
>example) for anything and give it a A- or CNAME-Record.
>
>On a private Network I tried (nothing of it worked)
>
>bogus.com.	IN A	123.123.123.123
>bogus.com	IN A	123.123.123.123
>@			IN A	123.123.123.123
>
>Everything beside this works flawlessly with Bind 9.2.1 (Debian).
>

>Can you  help?

You should have no trouble adding an A record with the same name as that
of a zone (please don't call it a "root-Domain", though, since strictly
speaking only "." is the "root-Domain"). What kind of errors, problems
did you get when you tried this?

You cannot, however, have the name of a zone own a CNAME record, because
of the following rule:

    If a name owns a CNAME record, then it cannot own any other records
    of any type

Since a zone name, by definition, owns an SOA record and at least 2 NS
records, this precludes its ownership of a CNAME record.