rndc.key problems

Jeffrey J. Barteet barteet at mrl.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 9 00:38:11 UTC 2003

Greetings,

I've built and installed BIND 9.2.3 replacing my old 9.1.3 installation,
and I'm having an issue with my rndc.key that I can't figure out.

When I run rndc status (or any other rndc command) I get:

 ./rndc status
rndc: error: /usr/local/bind-9.2.3//etc/rndc.key:2: unknown option
'options'
rndc: could not load rndc configuration

My rndc.key is the 'stock' key generated by rndc-confgen.

I installed the commented out section from the bottom of my rndc-confgen
into my named.conf file and I get not errors at startup of named.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The contents of my rndc.key is as
follows (with my 'secret' key changed.)

# Start of rndc.conf
key "rndc-key" {
        algorithm hmac-md5;