importance of forwarders & Hint server

Roger Ward roger.ward at national-net.com
Tue Dec 9 16:40:49 UTC 2003

It is customary to only use hint servers (the 'root') when you serve more than
a few computers.  In reality, your use won't  add much load (as caching takes
care of the repetitiveness), but you should consider using a forwarding
configuration to your ISP's nameserver.  Since I don't run any root servers,
I can't speak with full authority though - I just know that Bind caches
information like the root DNS servers ask it to, and it doesn't put a
constant load on them (unless you look up a LOT of nonexistant domains for
some reason, but that's another story).
If you decide to setup a forwarding configuration, also keep in mind it is a
good idea to use a backup DNS server (both in forwarding, and on your local
network) so temporary problems (maybe the wrong switch got thrown) don't
affect your network.  You could even just have one local dns server, then use
a different nameserver (perhaps one at one of your ISP's ISPs) also in your
client configurations.

-Roger

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 10:53 am, phaniraj ranganath wrote:
> Hello,
> I have configured a dns server on a host having an valid IP address.
> Do I need to forward (i.e use forwarders) the request to the DNS server of
> ISP provider who has provided the valid IP or since it is having an valid
> IP can it forward the request using hint server? when the hint server is
> helpful?
>
> with regards
> phani
> Yahoo! India Mobile: Ringtones, Wallpapers, Picture Messages and
> more.Download now.

-- Desc: signature