importance of forwarders & Hint server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 9 19:56:59 UTC 2003

In article <br4s4i$j47$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 phaniraj ranganath <hrphani at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have configured a dns server on a host having an valid IP address.
> Do I need to forward (i.e use forwarders) the request to the DNS server of
> ISP provider who has provided the valid IP or since it is having an valid IP
> can it forward the request using hint server?

You can use the root servers, you don't need to use forwarders.

> when the hint server is helpful?

That's the normal way to operate, you should ask the other question
"when are forwarders useful?".  You use forwarders when there are
restrictions on your Internet connection that prevent it from connecting
to remote servers directly.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Woburn, MA