Bind and Newsyslog under FreeBSD

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Dec 11 14:57:49 UTC 2003

	Has anyone noticed that when running bind9 under FreeBSD, the
logging dies when newsyslog runs and the day's log rolls over?

	The work-around has been to have a cron job run just after
newsyslog changes named's log which goes something like

sleep 30;  /usr/local/sbin/rndc reload

	That certainly gets the logging going again with only a loss
of 30 seconds-worth of logging, but I am wondering if anything else
can be done to make it work like it should?

	I have noticed this for several years, but recently installed
FreeBSD4.9 on a system and the latest version of bind9 and it still
exhibits this behavior so I thought I'd say something about it.

	In the overall scheme of things, it is a very minor annoyance.
Named still works fine during the no-logging period, but the log file
simply doesn't collect any new data.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group