Adding MX to an alias

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Dec 12 00:07:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 03:33:03PM -0600, Jim McCullars wrote:
> Hello:
>
>    Hope this is the correct group to ask this question to.  We have a web
> server whose real name is info.uah.edu, but it has several aliases
> (including www) for various name virtual hosts (science.uah.edu,
> staffsenate.uah.edu, etc).  Our student newspaper wanted to use this feature,
> so we added this:
>
> exponent        IN      CNAME   info.uah.edu.
>
> but they also want to be able to get mail @exponent.uah.edu, and I want an
> MX to our campus email server, email.uah.edu.  Apparently, when you have a
> CNAME, you cannot have another record type, so I can't just add an MX to
> what I have above.  What would be the recommended way to do what I want?
> Create an A record for exponent, with the IP address of info, and then an
> MX to email?  If I do that, will I break the sendmail (or something else)
> on email or info?  Thanks for any advice...

Yes, that is a better way; no, it will not break the others, if your
description is accurate.  The lookup is from "exponent.uah.edu" to its
values, not the other way around.  [Since you are posting your
questions here, I am assuming that you are using BIND, where this is
reasonably straightforward.]

Do you NEED the A record for that name?  If there is a virtual Web
host, yes; if the domain is only for e-mail, no.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B