running multiple daemonized instances of BIND9.2 on Windows 2000

Michael michaeln at twentyten.org
Fri Dec 12 01:04:15 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick" <nickjeffrey at hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: running multiple daemonized instances of BIND9.2 on Windows
2000

> Here's the answer you've all been waiting for with baited breath!
> Please be careful with line breaks if you're cutting/pasting this into
> one of your own systems.

[snipped instructions]

Nick,

I tried your above instructions and I couldn't get them to work.  I did
something similar using "SC" to create the service and I found that this
setup had the same results.  The steps are this:

 - I create the services
 - I setup three different named.conf files
 - I start the services

When I start the services, they *still* try to look for a configuration file
under c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc\named.conf which of course does not exist.
If I start all three under a command line:

named -f -c c:\bind\conf\named-bebe.conf
named -f -c c:\bind\conf\named-sandy.conf
named -f -c c:\bind\conf\named-katsu.conf

...then the services run fine, they listen on their appropriate IPs, and
they give all the right answers.  The problem of course is that we don't
want three command windows open...we just want to run it as a background
daemon and due to some political workings, we simply can't run a Linux/Unix
solution (which would make this problem trivial).

You and Danny talked about "views", but I don't think that that solution
fits our needs.  Here's our situation:

 - We have a product that has Internet features associated to it

 - The product has a hard-coded DNS look up for three entries...let's call
them:
    chat.sandycat.com
    mouse.sandycat.com
    flapper.sandycat.com

 - We have multiple test environments at our company, some of which run the
retail version of our product.  So what do we do if we want to connect to a
particular environment?  We just setup a DNS server and fake it into
connecting to one of the environments.

So in other words, at any point in time, any host might want to connect to
any particular environment.  It seems that wiews would make the connections
host based and it's not guaranteed (in fact, it'd never be the case) that a
particular host would always want to go to a particular environment.

Is there something in your instructions that you perhaps missed?  Why does
it seem to ignore my parameters when I start it as a service?

When I initially tried doing it, I used sc to just create a service where
the binPath was the full command:

c:\bind\named.exe -c c:\bind\conf\named-sandy.conf

This also created a bunch of errors in the Event Viewer basically stating
that c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc\named.conf did not exist.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Michael