Problems looking up DNS records

Erik Severinghaus confirms at shaus.com
Fri Dec 12 18:56:27 UTC 2003

I do network admin work for a small company. Recently, we've been
having trouble with DNS lookups. We have a Smoothwall (linux firewall
distribution) system that we use for basic firewalling/routing needs.
That system is also our DHCP server, and forwards on DNS queries from
inside the network to our ISP.

We've been using this for months, without running into any problems.
Over the last few days though, lots of lookups from client machines
inside the network will fail. These machines are querying the
firewall/router, which is returning an unknown hostname error. This
will happen for a minute or two, then magically the hostname will
again resolve correctly.

When I ssh to the other system, I can look up the hostnames just fine.

This happens with all the internal clients. It is always intermittent,
however has become a huge pain as it happens with a prety good amount
of frequency.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to resolve
this?

Thanks!
Erik Severinghaus
confirms at shaus.com