I need some help about BIND

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 12 20:33:07 UTC 2003

In article <brcvk6$1nh5$1 at sf1.isc.org>, manissa at webmails.com (Manissa)
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have some problems with BIND 9.2.2. A few days ago, I installed bind
> binaries under Unix Solaris. I created all files which BIND needs to
> run, like db.127.0.0, db.mydomain.com, db.network-addr, etc.
>
> Now it's running quiet well, but I stille have some difficulties with
> its configuration. The server reponds to his name, ip address,
> loopback address and 127.0.0.1 (with nslookup command). But when I
> look for a name of one of my machines (without the name of the domain
> at the end), I've got some times the message saying that Non-existent
> host/domain; and some times I've got the message like :
> .ROOT-SERVERS.NET (from A to E for example).

This is a resolver issue.  In your /etc/resolv.conf file, you need to
use the "domain" or "search" directive to specify default domains to
append to unqualified names.

> I have another problem. I already have in my internal network another
> DNS server. So I would like that the BIND just forward all of the DNS
> queries that it received to that first DNS server. I tried to do this
> with these commands (forward only, and forwarders {} in options
> statement) in named.conf file, but without success.

It will never forward queries for names in zones that it's already
authoritative for, but it should work for all other zones.  If it's not,
please post the actual named.conf file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Woburn, MA