How-to: (if ISP dns server down) go direct to root

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Dec 15 20:21:41 UTC 2003

In article <brl10h$bch$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Joaco wrote:
> How do I get bind to feed its cache from the internet root
> servers, when my ISP forwarders are down???

I have a slave nameserver and a master. The master is a normal recursive
nameserver using the root servers. The slave (which is also externally
accessible) is set to forward only for the "." zone. The internal
machines are set to use the slave as their primary nameserver and the
master as secondary. If the ISP's nameservers were down I'd probably see
some delays, but names should resolve through the master.

A quick check of my stats shows that the slave is doing almost all of
our resolving. But I think if my ISP's nameservers seemed unreliable I
would bypass them altogether.
--
  /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
  or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply