Parent and Child subzones with overlapping reverse address space

John Tobias JTobias at gilead.com
Mon Dec 15 23:36:25 UTC 2003

Dear BIND gurus:

I have a problem that I'm hoping that you can help with. I have a Parent
and a Child zone that are obviously authoritative for different forward
zones, but share IP address space (e.g. systems in both the parent and
child zones could have a 10.20.4.x address). In my configuration the
servers with the child zones forward to the parent servers for zones
they are not authoritative for.

My problem is that this arrangement is causing me some problems in
providing complete reverse zone mappings - i.e. both the parent and
child servers may both be authoritative for 4.20.10.IN-ADDR.arpa, and
since only approx. 1/2 the addresses may exist in any one server,
depending on which server is queried, only 1/2 the addresses are
available for reverse lookups. In looking for a solution, I'm wondering
if it's possible that using the "forward first" option on the zone
statements may provide a workaround. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

John Tobias
Corporate Infrastructure
Gilead Sciences