How-to: (if ISP dns server down) go direct to root

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 15 21:54:56 UTC 2003

Joaco <tonyb at sysdev.org> wrote:
> Run bind 9.1.2 with an internal and an external zone.
>
> Frequently, now days, my ISP servers crash and my two dns
> servers fail to provide external name resolution during those
> lapses.  My servers remain visible to the outside, because I
> switched to Netsol for my domain's external dns.  However, I am
> now blind internally and end up having to go to tracert.com
> (/etc/hosts) for manual name resolution...
>
> Question, I do have a "." zone and db.root defined, but no joy.
> How do I get bind to feed its cache from the internet root
> servers, when my ISP forwarders are down???

Use 'forward first' (this is default) instead of 'forward only'.

By default, however, your DNS should go out to root if all your
nameservers or forwarders are down (ie. not answering at all).  So, your
symptoms indicates that your ISP servers are up and answering; it's just
that it's answer is the issue.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>