Dynamic DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 16 01:25:18 UTC 2003

Pascal offredo wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using ISC Bind 9.2.3 jointly with ISC Dhcpd V3.0pl2 for dynamic dns.
>Dhcpd has no problem to register a static address dynamically into a zone
>.... but it cannot remove it from the DNS zone after the address has been
>released.
>
>I 've only got this message in a log file
>DHCPRELEASE of 10.0.0.242 from 00:50:56:40:00:76 via eth0 (not found)
>
>According to a post I get this message because DHCPD can't find this
>address in its addresses pool because it's a static one.
>
>Is there a way to tell DHCPd to remove a record in a zone as soon as it
>has released an address.

I'm confused. How is it that you're "releasing" a *static* address? Are
you using the term "static" in a non-standard and/or non-intuitive way?

In any case, this may be a function that DHCPD simply doesn't support.
You may want to try posting this question to a DHCPD-oriented group to
tell for sure. If it is unsupported, then you could perhaps include some
"nsupdate" logic into whatever script/utility you're using to do this
"release".