Providing high availability for dynamically updatable zone

Mike Hake mike_hake at hp.com
Tue Dec 16 22:02:14 UTC 2003

Greetings,
I am trying to determine ways to provide high availablity of a dynamically
updatable zone. Here is the scenario. I have a very dynamic network
environment, with host names and IP's constantly changing. I maintain my
zones with dynamic update, when a zone is updated the slaves are all
notified and they pull new zone transfers.

Using the master/slave setup is providing good availability for the clients
on the network. If a slave becomes unavailable, the resolvers will use a
different slave, no problem.

However, if the master goes down, then obviously requests to dynamically
update my zones are going to fail, and it is a must that the zone always be
current.

So my question is - Is there any mechanism built into BIND to provide high
availability for a dynamically updatable zone?

It seems that this would require 2 or more name servers that were acting as
masters for the given zone, my understanding is that each zone can have only
one master.

My current solution to this problem is to run the master name server as a
package within a highly availble cluster.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this issue.
thanks
--mike