Name server changes TTL

Albert etienne at unicc.org
Thu Dec 18 16:01:15 UTC 2003

I'm new to this group and I'm not sure where to post this question so
I apologize if this is not the right place and could someone indicate
where I could get help. Thanks.

We have a DNS server running BIND 9.2.1 under Red Hat Linux 7.2 and we
get the following situation which apparently is a problem for some of
our users.

When trying to resolve a non-existing name, for example,
"www.no-such-domain-123abc.org", our DNS server gets an answer from
the authoritative server tld1.ultradns.net, but apparently, it then
changes the Time To Live of the returned SOA record in the Authority
section to a value smaller than the Minimum Time To Live of that SOA
record.

Is this normal behaviour? Can it be modified?

I'd really appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Albert