Name server changes TTL

Albert etienne at unicc.org
Fri Dec 19 14:53:52 UTC 2003

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<brspss$2fen$1 at sf1.isc.org>...

> That SOA RR is really a negative caching record. See RFC 2308 for more
> details.
>

>                                  - Kevin

Kevin, thanks a lot for replying. I've read RFC 2308 carefully but I
still can't come to a clear conclusion. I have a user who says:

"the name server corrupts the 'Name Error' reply from the
authoritative name server tld1.ultradns.net in response to the query
for the Address of www.no-such-domain-123abc.org. The server have
changed the Time To Live of the returned SOA record in the Authority
section to a value smaller than the Minimum Time To Live of that SOA
record, which makes the replies invalid."

My questions are therefore:

- is it incorrect to return a TTL smaller than the Minimum TTL in the
case of a NXDOMAIN response?
- does that make the response from my server "invalid"?
- is this a feature of BIND 9.2.1?
- can this behavior be changed and how?

Again, I'd appreciate any help I can get because I can't find
documentation (at my level) on this. Thanks.

Albert