Newbie; setting up DNS with ISP

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 22 02:35:29 UTC 2003

In article <bs5fki$24e3$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Ernie Thibault <ernie at bit-net.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am setting up my dns server  I think I have it working.
> I telnet into my ISP and do a  nslookup to verify that DNS is has been
> pass though the router connection and it seems to.
> My ISP thinks that I may have a problem and have not been able to
> configure there DNS to resolve ourwire.com.

The registration of your domain lists different nameservers:

ourwire.com                   NS    172800  dns3.bit-net.com
ourwire.com                   NS    172800  dns4.bit-net.com

Are these your ISP's nameservers?  Are they supposed to be slaving your
domain?  Make sure your firewall allows TCP DNS connections through.

You should have these nameservers in the NS records in your zone file,
not dns.ourwire.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA