static ip & mail server

Serhan BAKIR serhan at stand.com.tr
Sat Dec 20 22:00:43 UTC 2003

Hi, I think this question is asked several times but I still couldn't
found what I'm looking for. I'll soon have an adsl connection with
static ip and I want to setup a mail server. I want to register for a
domain name and give my static ip address to the registrar as the dns
server address.( At this point I'll also have to setup a name server I
guess ) So I will have a domain name connected to my ip. But as soon
as I'm concerned there is this fact called reverse ip lookup! As
another mail server preparing to accept my mail will run a reverse ip
lookup and what it finds will be a strange name given to me by my ISP

If is it so then the only solution is to want the reverse record to be
corrected from the ISP. If it isn't so how shall I make my own name
server to be able to handle all requests before ISP does. I'm a bit
confused at this moment because I don't think that neither my isp
would change my reverse record nor my dns server would handle the
request one step before the isp does. So please enlighten me about
this reverse lookup please.
Is there a possible way around to setup your own mail server, which
has the right forward and reverse records , with a static ip over an
adsl connection. Any reply will help very much as you can understand
from the mass above.