Bind 9 / Bind 8 / NOTIFY updates and system load

Brath, Shane shane.brath at tdstelecom.com
Mon Dec 22 18:58:09 UTC 2003

Bind Users:

I am having several problems with my Bind Infrastructure lately and I want
some advice:

2 major issues in summary:

	1: memory grows to exceed system available, when I put some memory
size limits on the process crashed when it reached the size instead of
clearing out memory.

	2: I have about 9000 domains, and have a hierarchical setup, and
NOTIFY updates are taking sometimes 2-3 hours to be honored by slaves.

Details:
	Platform: Solaris 8 and 9.
	Software: Resolvers for internal services ( Mail servers ) Bind 9
(latest)
		Master xfer host is running Bind 9 latest.
		Resolvers for external customer ( Dialup ) Bind 8 ( want to
move to 9 )
	Setup: All zone data is in a database and is extracted to zone files
on a xfer master box, all this Bind 9 box does is send Notifies that a zone
has changed, and it serves up the files to the slaves. This xfer box does
not allow recursive, and is strictly for updating the slaves.

	Problem 1: I have tried tuning down the datasize to 400m, but
eventually the server crashes.
			Can someone give me a breakdown on recommended
settings for a Bind 9
			server where there are on average several hundred q
per s, as in a nameserver
			for an Email Cluster? If I remove the 400m
requirement the server will remain stable for
			about 2 weeks and then just start loosing domains.

	Problem 2: Slaves are taking almost 2 hours to actually do a
transfer of a Notify, is this caused by load? Some config entry? I have the
parallel number of axfr's allowed set to over 100, there are about 12 slave
servers all pulling primary zones from one master server. I see the NOTIFY
go out, and then I watch for how long the slaves take to honor it. Sometimes
it has taken until midnight, over 6-8 hours from when the change was made?
Should it take this long.

I can provide more detail on the above two problems if you let me know
specifically what you want to know.

Thanks in advance..

Shane Brath