DNS Works Marginally

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 23 00:08:54 UTC 2003

tnaves at linkwest.net wrote:

>I have set up BIND 8 on a Sun box.  When I start in.named it listens on
>port 53 biut I canot get name resolution from a remote host.  From the Sun
>box, which is the dns server, with my resolv.conf configured for th ip
>addr of itself, I get name resolution.  In other words, dns is actin like
>a host file on the Sun box.  I have set up bind using various
>configurations from the Internet but to no avail.
>
>Any hints?

Check netstat -a and see if there's something listening on port 53 of
your box. ping between boxes. telnet to port 53 on the server address
and see if it connects (but don't expect any recognizable text since DNS
is not a text-based protocol). Run snoop and see if the query comes in
and if the response goes back. Turn on query logging to see if named
itself is seeing the query.