local lookups ok, remote lookups broken.

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Dec 23 17:52:45 UTC 2003

i18rabbit at cwazy.co.uk (i18rabbit) wrote:

>i am confused as to who is at fault
>for reverse DNS lookup failures.
>i would sincerely value any help.
>
>network:
>
>A                  B                 C            D
>MyLocalGateway <-> MyISPsNetwork <-> Internet <-> RemoteServer
>
>all lookups for A when using A's DNS work fine.
>all lookups for A when using B's DNS work fine.
>reverse lookups for A when at D fail when not
> specifying any particular DNS server to use
> in a host(1) command (this problem causes my email
> from A to be rejected by mail servers that do
> reverse DNS lookups - BAD problem).
>reverse lookups for A when at D work fine only when
> specifying B's DNS servers in a host(1) command.
>
>there is no problem locating A in any browser/ftp/etc,
>from any location, whether numeric or "human-readable"
>forms are used when specifying A's location.
>
>who's fault is it that reverse dns lookups for A
>do not work from remote servers on the Internet?

If you told us some more details -

   1) What are the nodenames of machines A, B, C, and D?
   2) What reverse addresses are giving problems?

With these pieces of information, we could re-charge our crystal balls
and give you advice after we did some queries on our own.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov