Newbie Zone File Question

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 23 21:13:31 UTC 2003

In article <bsa5gj$ok8$1 at sf1.isc.org>, tnaves at linkwest.net wrote:

> I finally got my first dns server working.  YeeHaa!
>
> I am using BIND 8 and have the following files:

If you're doing this for the first time, why aren't you using the
current version of BIND?

> named.conf (with a forwarder defined, a nameserver at my isp)

Why?  Is there something preventing your server from querying other
remote nameservers?

> named.ca (My cache file with only my name server as root server)

Unless you've configured your server as a root server, it shouldn't be
in there.  You should have the list of real root servers.

> my_domain.zone (I have four hosts in this file counting the name server
> and localhost)
>
> my_domain_rev.zone (I have three hosts in this file counting the name
> server)
>
> local.rev (I have one host in this file, 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.)
>
> It works fine.
>
> I have a couple of questions with respect to expanding my nameserver.
>
> Currently I am providing name resolution for one subnet only, 192.168.1.0
>
> I have two others: 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.3.0
>
> My question is:
>
> Can I just add hosts on these other subnets to my zone file
> (my_domain.zone above) or do I need a zone for each subnet?

You need a zone for each domain.  If they're in the same domain, then
they should normally be in the same forward zone file.

> How about the in-addr.arpa file for my zone (my_domain.zone above)?

You could have separate zones for each reverse domain, your you could
have a single reverse zone for 168.192.in-addr.arpa.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA