Zone transfers from Win2K AD-DNS to BIND

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Dec 23 21:53:00 UTC 2003

> Hello
> Here's the situation: our company was purchased a while ago by another
> company. They're on WinNT, we're on Win2000 AD. We kept our domain
> name and our "old" naming convention and DNS suffix stayed the same
> (oldcompany.com) because it's close to impossible to rename Win2000 AD
> without some major PITA. Everything's good, but name resolution for
> machines in our office only works for people that have the same DNS
> suffix of oldcompany.com. No one from headquarters can hit anything on
> our network by name, since their DNS suffix is newcompany.com.

	Tell the clients to use try both suffixes to resolve unqalified
	names.

	/etc/resolv.conf
	search newcompany.com oldcompany.com

	The windows clients also support multiple suffixes.  This
	can be done manually or via DHCP.

> So, we decided to setup one of their DNS servers as secondary to our
> AD-integrated DNS server so it'd suck in our oldcompany.com zone and
> people on their end would be able to resolve these machines by name.
> I've setup Zone transfers, notifies and enabled BIND secondaries on
> our DNS server. However, on the other end they're using BIND and their
> DNS admin is telling me that in order for them to setup their BIND
> server as secondary, in NAMED.CONF he needs full path to the file that
> has all DNS info, like oldcompany.com.dns. The problem with that is
> our DNS server is AD-integrated and such file doesn't exist - all DNS
> records are stored in Registry and AD.

	The filename used to cache the zone contents is *local* to the
	nameserver.  They can choose whatever name they want.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org