Newbie Zone File Question

tnaves at linkwest.net tnaves at linkwest.net
Tue Dec 23 22:35:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <bsa5gj$ok8$1 at sf1.isc.org>, tnaves at linkwest.net wrote:
>
> > I finally got my first dns server working.  YeeHaa!
> >
> > I am using BIND 8 and have the following files:
>
> If you're doing this for the first time, why aren't you using the
> current version of BIND?

I just tried it on the version that was on my Sun box.  It is just to
learn how to do it.

> > named.conf (with a forwarder defined, a nameserver at my isp)
>
> Why?  Is there something preventing your server from querying other
> remote nameservers?

I thought this was the usual way of doing things i.e., resolve names on
the local network using priate address space ip addrs and forwarding the
public lookups to a public nameserver.  Also, the ISP nameservers are the
public nameservers for our public addresses.

 > > > named.ca (My cache file
with only my name server as root server) >
> Unless you've configured your server as a root server, it shouldn't be
> in there.  You should have the list of real root servers.

It ws my intent to make my server the root server for my private network
and to forward to the nameserver at the ISP for public addrs.  This brings
up another question.  When I do an nslookup on my private name server it
reponds with a non-authoritative answer.  Here is the config of my
named.ca file:

; named.ca
;
.  3600000  IN  NS  NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM.
NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM.  3600000  A  192.168.1.6

Woouldn't that make it the root nameserver and thus authoritative?

> > my_domain.zone (I have four hosts in this file counting the name server
> > and localhost)
> >
> > my_domain_rev.zone (I have three hosts in this file counting the name
> > server)
> >
> > local.rev (I have one host in this file, 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.)
> >
> > It works fine.
> >
> > I have a couple of questions with respect to expanding my nameserver.
> >
> > Currently I am providing name resolution for one subnet only, 192.168.1.0
> >
> > I have two others: 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.3.0
> >
> > My question is:
> >
> > Can I just add hosts on these other subnets to my zone file
> > (my_domain.zone above) or do I need a zone for each subnet?
>
> You need a zone for each domain.  If they're in the same domain, then
> they should normally be in the same forward zone file.

Thanks.

> > How about the in-addr.arpa file for my zone (my_domain.zone above)?
>
> You could have separate zones for each reverse domain, your you could
> have a single reverse zone for 168.192.in-addr.arpa.

Thanks again.