dns puzzlement

ian iwright at ne-worcs.ac.uk
Sun Dec 28 18:49:44 UTC 2003

Hi there I wonder if anybody could help me.
This is really just a general question about how dns works I think.
I have a static ip number from demon and obviously a domain name from
them as well. What I would like to do is set up my own domain with my
own nameservers.
My question is,
1. If I buy a domain name from a domain name registration company, say
for instance dog.net, and give the site the name of my machine with
the demon ip number will I be able to have a functioning domain. As
far as I can see this would work, but I must confess to some
puzzlement. Presumably the domain registar would register the name and
ip numbers with the .net servers, which would then point to the static
ip address, so anyone searching for my web site would find put in
www.dog.net, and be directed there, if I set up a nameserver on my
machine to supply the ip address. But wouldn't reverse lookups always
point back to the demon address?
2. If this is the case how do you obtain your own domain, this process
seems rather opaque to me. I have looked on sites such as
totalRegistrations and although you can buy the domain name there is
no provision for getting an ip number, do you get this from somewhere
else? Presumably a ISP?
Thanks Ian