DNS problem - please help! {Scanned}

K B Hariharan kbh at hub.nic.in
Wed Dec 31 08:43:49 UTC 2003

hi

I think the hyphen in the domain name is giving the problem c'd you pl.
replace it with the . and check... Some of the bind versions are not
accepting the hyphen in the domain name like yours..

change from mcbc-dc.org to mcbc.dc.org.

Thanks

K B Hariharan
Systems Analyst
NIC HQ, New Delhi

> I have about 8 sites running on a Raq4 linux box and everything was
> working fine w/ bind until a few days ago when some of the domains can't
> be reached:
>
> # nslookup mcbc-dc.org
> Server:  h-68-166-149-45.MCLNVA23.covad.net
> Address:  68.166.149.45
> *** h-68-166-149-45.MCLNVA23.covad.net can't find mcbc-dc.org:
> Non-existent host/domain
>
> I've checked to make sure everthing is correctly but can't seem to find
> what is wrong. Can someone help?
>
> /etc/named.conf, I have the following:
>
> zone "mcbc-dc.org" { type master; file "pri.mcbc-dc.org"; allow-query {
> any; };
>
> In /etc/named/pri.mcbc-dc.org, I have the following:
>
> $TTL 86400
> mcbc-dc.org. IN SOA ns1.wppi.net. admin.wppi.net. (
>         2003122006
>         10800
>         3600
>         604800
>         86400
>         )
> mcbc-dc.org.    IN      NS      ns1.wppi.net.
> mcbc-dc.org.    IN      NS      ns2.wppi.net.
>
> mcbc-dc.org.    in      a       68.166.149.35
> www.mcbc-dc.org.        in      a       68.166.149.35
> mcbc-dc.org.    in      mx      30 www.mcbc-dc.org.
>
> -----------------
> Also, when I reboot the box (Raq4) it sits for about 15 minutes saying
>
> Thanks,
>
> SW

>         WPPi.com        |        WPPi.Net
>   http://www.wppi.com   |  http://www.wppi.net
> WPPi.com & WPPi.Net MailScanner Signature
> This message has been scanned for viruses
> and dangerous content by WPPi MailScanner,
> and has been found to be clean.

K B Hariharan
Scientis 'B'
WAN/Internet Div