Cannot find additional hosts

David Cittadini david.cittadini at blackmarble.com
Sun Feb 2 08:28:59 UTC 2003

How about this..

I have bind version 8.3.4 running on computer running Mac OS X Server.
This computer also has a firewall on it and I have opened the DNS port.
  If I ping from internal hosts I can see all the hosts listed in the
"davidcittadini.com" zone.  However, if I ping via another computer on
the Internet all I can see is "gateway.davidcittadini.com" and not the
other hosts listed in the zone, such as "ftp.davidcittadini.com" or
"www.davidcittadini.com".  How can I fix this problem?  Attached are
the relevant files.

named.conf
=========
options {
           directory "/var/named";

           listen-on port 53 {
                   144.132.0.86;
           };

           cleaning-interval 360;

           recursion no;
};

// Root
zone "." {
           type hint;
           file "root.hints.db";
};

// davidcittadini.com zone
zone "davidcittadini.com" {
           type master;
           notify yes;
           file "davidcittadini.com";
           allow-transfer {
                   64.40.0.244/32;
           };
	allow-query {
		any;
	};
};

// Reverse zone
zone "86.0.132.144.in-addr.arpa" {
           type master;
           notify yes;
           file "86.0.132.144";
           allow-transfer {
                   64.40.0.244/32;
           };
	allow-query {
		any;
	};
};

davidcittadini.com zone file
=====================
$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     gateway.davidcittadini.com.
hostmaster.davidcittadini.com. (
                                   2003013000      ; serial, todays date
+ todays serial #
                                   8H              ; refresh, seconds
                                   2H              ; retry, seconds
                                   1W              ; expire, seconds
                                   1D )            ; minimum, seconds

                  NS      gateway.davidcittadini.com.   ; Address of
name server
                  NS      ns1.siteleader.com.                  ; Address
of backup server

                  MX   10 mail.davidcittadini.com.       ; Primary Mail
Exchanger

gateway         86400   A       144.132.0.86

mail            86400   A       144.132.0.86

ftp             86400   CNAME   gateway

ns              86400   CNAME   gateway

www             86400   CNAME   gateway

86.0.132.144 reverse file
===================
$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     gateway.davidcittadini.com.
hostmaster.davidcittadini.com. (
                       2003013000      ; serial, todays date + todays
serial #
                           8H      ; Refresh
                           2H      ; Retry
                           1W      ; Expire
                           1D)     ; Minimum TTL

                       NS      gateway.davidcittadini.com.    ; Address
of name server
                       NS      ns1.siteleader.com.                   ;
Address of backup server

86.0.132.144.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR     gateway.davidcittadini.com.