Size of config files

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Feb 2 16:26:59 UTC 2003

At 11:24 PM 2/1/03, David Hasbrouck wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This is probably a non-issue, but I wanted to confirm this before I
>implement a sub-domain name system for our users.
>
>We run Bind 8 at this time.  The main configuration file is
>/etc/named.conf.  Within this file, we reference files located in a
>different directory for each domain that is setup:
>
>zone "domainname.com" {
>         type master;
>         file "domains/domainname.com";
>};
>
>In the domains/domainname.com file, we have a basic record that looks
>like this:
>
>;authoritative data for domainname.com
>@               IN      SOA     ns.nameserver.com.
>hostmaster.ns.nameserver.com.
>                                 (
>                                 2003020100      ;Serial Number: YYYYMMDDxx
>                                 80000           ;Refresh time
>                                 3600            ;Retry Time
>                                 604800          ;Time
>                                 86400           ;Minimum TTL
>                                 )
>                 IN      NS      ns.nameserver.com.
>                 IN      NS      ns2.nameserver.com.
>                 IN      MX      10      mail
>                 IN      A       11.222.33.444
>www             IN      A       11.222.33.444
>ftp             IN      A       11.222.33.444
>mail            IN      A       11.222.33.444
>
>My question is, is there any file size limit on this
>domains/domainname.com file?
>
>Our plan is to add a new line to the end of the file for each
>sub-domain the client sets up:
>
>support         IN      A       11.222.33.444
>manual          IN      A       11.222.33.444
>
>I just want to make sure there isn't a limit on this file and I
>couldn't find anything that said a for sure yes or no on this.

BIND imposes no limits on file/record sizes. Otherwise zones
like .com. would never be loaded and you're never likely to
deal with zones of that size. The only limits are the ones imposed
by the operating system, the memory you need and the pageswap
space that you need when you load all of your zones into memory
and respond to queries.

Danny