Newbie question - is BIND 8 capable of returning a different IP from an internal network?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 3 21:58:20 UTC 2003

Jose Commins wrote:

>	Hi,
>		I have been trawling the net for information about this and have
>experimented with some settings to no avail.  My BIND 8 DNS server is
>set up thus:
>
>Internet (DNS server/WWW IP: 217.152.x.x) -> NAT/Firewall <-> DNS server
><-> Internal network (IP range of internal network: 192.168.x.x)
>
>	Requests from the internet that need to resolve www.axora.net are
>returned the www server's internet IP correctly by BIND, which resolves
>to 217.152.x.x.  Any requests from machines in the internal network (192.
>168.x.x) for www.axora.net are given the BIND IP listed for the domain (
>217.152.x.x), which results in them not connecting to the machine.  Can
>one configure BIND 8 so that any requests from the internal network
>return the www server's internal IP rather than the internet IP?

This is accomplished by maintaining and serving up two different
versions of the relevant zone -- the internal and external versions. In
BIND 8, it's rather ugly to implement -- you need to run separate
nameserver instances, listening on separate addresses (these could be
different physical interfaces on the same machine, "virtual" interfaces
on the same physical interface, or just plain different machines). BIND
9 has a "view" feature that allows these different versions of zones to
co-exist in the same nameserver instance.