difference between nslookup and dig

Cricket Liu cricket at nxdomain.com
Tue Feb 4 18:24:44 UTC 2003

KIRAN MN wrote:
>    I have old linux machine on that named is running, when i do
> reverse lookup for say 192.1.2.3 it gives output as follows.
>
>  >192.1.2.3
> Server:  [192.1.52.3]
> Address:  192.1.52.3
>
> Name:    pure.test.com
> Address:  192.1.2.3
>   >
> When i installed new version of redhat linux on some other box, i am
> getting following output in nslookup
>> 192.1.2.3
> Server:  [192.1.52.3]
> Address:  192.1.52.3#53
>
> 3.2.1.192.in-addr.arpa         name=pure.test.com
>>
> How to change this behaviour to old. I tried setting set type=A, still
> it is giving same format of output, Please help my some of the scripts
> depend on this nslookup output.

That's just a newer version of nslookup.  You can't change the
output format (other than setting debug or d2) without modifying
the code.  If you really can't figure out how to change your scripts
to parse the new output, I suppose you might be able to install an
old nslookup binary on the host.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/