Answer Section or Authority Section?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Feb 4 20:24:57 UTC 2003

> [Clip...]
> > > What I have been able to piece together is that the C root server
> > > [192.33.4.12] is a BIND9 server and responds with a *referral* to my
> NS
> > > query and the other roots are BIND8 and respond with *answers*.  Am
> I on
> > > the right track?
>

> Mark,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>

> > 	Yes.  The next release of BIND 8 will return referrals
> > 	unless it is both offering recursion *and* recursion is
> > 	requested.  In otherwords it will lie less of the time.
> >
> > 	BIND 8 has a single database and is incapable of caching
> > 	answers which would override glue records (NS/A/AAAA).
> >
> > 	BIND 9 has multiple databases and is capable of giving
> > 	different answers depending upon whether recursion was
> > 	available and requested or not.  In other words it depending
> > 	apon how the query was framed it will return glue or it
> > 	will return the answers from the relevent child zone even
> > 	when it conflicts with the glue.
>
> Why does it matter *how* the query was made?  I would think that there
> is only one right response.  In other words, from a given name server's
> perspective, it should have a view of the name space and regardless of
> *how* the question was asked, it should return that response.

	rd=0	Give me the answer or tell me how to find it.
	rd=1 	Give me the answer.

	Now if the server is performing both authoritative and caching
	rolls then it needs to give a answer if rd is set even if it
	is answering with glue, (BIND 9 will fetch the real answer).

	If the server is performing authoritatively (either by client
	request rd=0 or server configuration ra=0) then a referral is
	returned containing the glue.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org