Slave Zone not Updating......

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 5 17:29:45 UTC 2003

Zack Odell wrote:

>I have a problem with my slave zone not being able to update from the
>master.
>
>I can see that the master server is trying to allow the transfer, but
>on the slave server I get the following:
>
>named[4175]: dumping master file: /var/named/tm-XXXjdICtn: open:
>permission denied
>
>named[4175]: transfer of 'azcmr.com/IN' from 192.168.10.2#53: failed
>while receiving responses: permission denied
>
>named[4175]: transfer of 'azcmr.com/IN' from 192.168.10.2#53: end of
>transfer
>
>Now I know that this is probably a permissions problem, but where do I
>begin to look to correct this problem?
>
>Do I need to change the permissions on this file in /var/named?

Whatever ID that named runs as needs to be able to *create* files in
/var/named, so you'd need to change the permissions of /var/named
itself. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think if you use a subdirectory
for your slave file, e.g. file "slave/example.com", then the temp files
might get written into the subdirectory. That way you could open up the
permissions on just the subdirectory without having to touch /var/named
itself.