Windows 2000 DNS

Cricket Liu cricket at nxdomain.com
Mon Feb 10 20:59:53 UTC 2003

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 01:39  PM, Joe Caserez wrote:

> I am setting up internal windows 2000 server to forward to the
> external dns server. I have enabled forwarding and put in the ip for
> the wins server.  I have no problems accessing the internet but when I
> try to view our own domain's website I can not view anything (none of
> our web pages) or ping any external ip.  Any suggestions?

First, if you're talking about the Microsoft DNS Server, I'd
suggest the newsgroup microsoft.public.win2000.dns.
This newsgroup and mailing list are specific to BIND.

Second, did you mean that you're forwarding to your
WINS server?  Unless your WINS server is running a
name server, too, that's not going to work.    You need
to forward to a name server (not a WINS server) that's
able to resolve Internet domain names and that will
accept recursive queries from the IP address of your
name server.  Or you can use normal, iterative name
resolution instead of forwarding.

cricket

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/