Ignoring MX records - how common

linda w bind at tlinx.org
Wed Feb 12 05:18:05 UTC 2003

> From: Mark_Andrews at isc.org
> 	Why do you care?
---
	It could be "Ed McMann" with a new way of contacting million
dollar prize winners?

>     All such MTAs are BROKEN.  The best thing
> 	you can do with a broken MTA is to not accept mail from it.
---
	It depends on who is using the broken MTA.  The maintainers of
the broken MTA are at fault in running the broken MTA.  That doesn't
mean the users of that "provider" have control or a clue that anything
is wrong.  You are spiting the 'users' because of the actions of the
"admins".  I'd have to say that such a response really isn't "user
friendly". :-| (str8face)

> 	The best way to do that is to not run a SMTP daemon unless
> 	you are expecting to receive email.
---
	True, in any event.

> 	People pandering to broken software results in the continued
> 	use of broken software.  This in no good for anyone.
---
	Broken software happens regardless of pandering.  It's like I
could refuse to listen to anyone that doesn't talk grammatically correct
English, or doesn't write email with perfect grammar and spelling.
Would such an action hurt me more, or will it "show them" and force
"them" to change?

> 	Well you are doing them a disservice by accepting the email.
---
	He'd be doing himself a service to accept the email if he knows
it isn't spam.  I don't think it does the end-user, not running the
misconfigured MTA, either a service or a disservice.

	That all said, Simon's idea of sending off a nasty-gram, perhaps
to the MTA-postmaster, seems like a good stab at a "least-damage",
constructive response -- and he can still choose to accept the email
if it doesn't seem that it is spam -- doesn't that help everyone "win"?

	Additionally, if desired, he could also send a copy of the
MTA-agent-broken email to the user (or a separate email, written to
be understood by an end-user, describing what action they should take).

	People are imperfect.  Shutting out all people who are imperfect
could be a bit isolating. (?) But, then, I think that's why many of us
computer types find some solace in computers -- unlike the world, they
usually work logically.  Unfortunately, as more programs are written by
non-computer types, I find more programs don't work 'logically'...:-/
"Help, help! the 'mundanes' are invading!!!" ;^)

-l