Name resolution failure with mail server

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 21:05:48 UTC 2003

Gary wrote:
> Some mail servers refuse to send messages to my domain because
of a
> failure to resolve my domain name. Email clients get this message:

Any other than this one you can name?

gray at runlevel6.com
> does not re
> solve)

The mail server is actually running a publicly queriable DNS,
and so I can confirm it is confused about runlevel6.com

It isn't running BIND AFAICT so way off topic ;-)

dig @206.202.64.9 version.bind chaos txt +short
"Incognito DNS Commander 3.5.5.25 (built Jun 27 2002)
[up=28d13403s, ser=32393]"

Queries for "runlevel6.com ns" show a "weird" authority section,
at least it looks weird to me.

Can this box definitely route to your ns1 box? Try the same DNS
query for version would be a good test.

> Other mail servers have no problem sending mail to the server,
> including Yahoo mail.

I think it is this DNS server, or possibly old data it has
cached. I think your domain should work from casual inspection.

> If anyone knows that this might be or has suggestions on how
to help
> me troubleshoot this, I would greatly appreciate it.

The zone has some WKS records point to default ports - but I
can't see why these would cause a problem - I'd still lose them
if they aren't essential.

What the record...

66.159.220.130.runlevel6.com. 38400 IN  PTR
ns1.runlevel6.com.runlevel6.com.

....is doing I can only speculate - but even if it were for what
I think it is, it is missing a "."

Other than that a secondary (plenty of free secondaries
available) DNS server wouldn't go amiss, but if a mail server
doesn't find any DNS servers it should try again after a little
while.

But I think it isn't your zone that is the problem. I think
you'll have to ask the admin at the far end to double check what
the isse is.