getting my own IP back

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 17 21:57:05 UTC 2003

julianop wrote:

>After setting up a bind 9 installation (before I go live and update my zone
>info at my registrar),  nslookup and dig called from the DNS server return
>my own fixed IP for every inquiry I make, when I specify my own IP for the
>server. If I don't specify my own server on the comand line, and rely on my
>ISP's DNS server, I get the correct result.
>
>I'm running a single fixed IP, and have five machines on a private subnet,
>and have port 53 punched through to the real world, NATed to the Linux box,
>if that makes any difference.
>
>Anyone know what I could have done wrong, please?

Sounds suspiciously like you've got a wildcard entry somewhere. Without
knowing basically anything about how your nameserver is configured,
though, that's just a wild guess.

You said you were going to change your zone info at your registrar. Does
this imply that you have a zone that you want to serve to the outside
world? Do queries for names in *that* zone return the correct
information? That would kind of support the wildcard theory, since
authoritative data overrides wildcards.