load balancing problems in DNS

David Botham dns at botham.net
Tue Feb 18 17:49:43 UTC 2003

Do both of the NIC's in the same subnet have the same IP address?  If
so, then you could expect this behavior.  If you want NIC level
redundancy, then, find a driver for the nic that will accomplish NIC
fail-over.  You should have only 1 NIC active in a subnet at the same
time with the same IP address.

> Is it best just to reduce to 1 nic in each subnet or am I
> missing a configuration setup? I selected the round robin
> to provide DNS load balancing. Is there a better way of
> accomplishing this?

Yes.  Load balancing with DNS is not a great idea.  Use a load balancing
device such as Radware, Foundry, F5 BigIP, etc...

Dave...