Newbie question about nsupdate & TSIG key

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Feb 20 10:44:54 UTC 2003

> Hi all,
> I am using BIND 9.2.1 and i configured it to accept dates for a specific zone
> .
> I used nsupdate on a machine in Netherlands to update the DNS located in Egyp
> t.
> The following error appeared on my log file "TSIG error with server: clocks a
> re unsynchronized".
> It is clear that clocks are not synchronized due to TIMEZONE difference.
> How can I solve this??
> I tried google and the archive of Bind-users and Bind9-users.
> The problem was mentioned several times in the archive but am not sure if the
> y were addressing different timezones.
> Sorry if it is a trivial problem.
> Any help or guide will be very much appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Kareem Mahgoub
> Senior System Administrator
> Wayout
> Phone: +2023017153
> Fax: +2023017130
> 45 El Batal Ahmed Abdel Aziz st.
> 14th Floor, Mohandeseen
> Cairo, Egypt

	TSIG uses UTC, it doesn't care about localtime.  There is
	+/- 5 minutes allowed.

	If you are using unix based systems "date -u" will return
	what the OS thinks the current time is in UTC.  Check the
	date and year in addition to the time as it is relatively
	common for the clock to be out a day or a year.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org