How to do...

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Feb 21 14:47:18 UTC 2003

Ron Hall <thorn at cc.mcgill.ca> wrote:
\
> 	Howdy!

> 	The networking group has decided that subnets are good
> 	and that those wanting to run Win 2K "dns" services can.
> 	In theory thi is OK, but now they've taken it and broken
> 	it in to tiny pieces where I now have the following
> 	scenario...

> 	Most of a class B let's say 132.216.28 is and has been
> 	served up by the primary DNS server, but now a small
> 	subnet has been set up so that those addresses will
> 	be 'served up' by the the WIN 2K box and secondary
> 	by Me. The question is I really think I did to do
> 	what's described on pages 237-240 of the 4thEd BIND
> 	bokk (a great read of course), but what do my

> 	named.conf
> 	28.216.132.in-addr.arpa

> 	files need to look like for this to work. I've obviously
> 	(obviously) missed something, but what?!?!?

> 	Any and all help appreciated. As this is likely to be the
> 	wave of the future- just thought I'd get a handle on it
> 	now....

I have a similar setup:

    139.146.in-addr.arpa      on my BIND server and
    148.139.146.in-addr.arpa  on my W2k DNS server

On the master I did nothing for the 148 subnet in my 139 reverse zone
except place a comment:

     $ORIGIN 148.139.146.in-addr.arpa.
     ; subnet 146.139.148 CMT
     ; This subnet was moved to the rhino221 DNS server on 06/19/2001.

On my slave servers, I defined a slave zone

     148.139.146.in-addr.arpa.

with the master being the rhino221 hidden master W2k DNS server.
As both of my masters are hidden, and all of our client machines use
our BIND servers for DNS services, there was nothing else I had to
do, as even though the 148 subnet is not found on the slave servers
inside the parent 146.139 reverse zone, the zone is on the slave
servers, so the slaves can answer autoritatively for that 148 subnet.
I have five (soon to be six) such subnets on my W2k DNS server; all are
/24 subnets.  I have not had a need to allocate less than a Class-C
block to the W2k Server, and I really do not want to.

I have a similar situation in the 137.146.in-addr.arpa Class-B network.
I have a number of /24 subnets that are managed by a different group
with their own BIND master.  Each of these subnets has the $ORIGIN
statement in the 137 reverse zone followed by a comment line.  And my
BIND slaves have these /24 subnets also.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov