Getting email, but no MX record?

enrique at podernet.com.mx enrique at podernet.com.mx
Mon Feb 24 17:07:08 UTC 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Joe wrote:

=>I have a subdomain called lunch.eat-me.net hosted on a Redhat 8.0 box
=>running Apache/Sendmail at home.  I have a company hosting www.eat-me.net
=>(web/mail) and pointing lunch.eat-me.net (web only) traffic to my home
=>server.  There isn't a mx record for lunch.eat-me.net:
=>
=>;; QUESTION SECTION:
=>;lunch.eat-me.net.              IN      MX
=>
=>;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
=>
=>, but if I send an email to validuser at lunch.eat-me.net I would get it.
=>What's the deal?  Does the Internet just figure it out, or is there another
=>real answer?
=>

Well, there is a real answer actually. Mail is addressed to
whoever at lunch.eat-me.net and the mail servers through internet just delivers
mai to it's destination. MX records are for saying "mail is addressed to x but
please deliver to y" the problem is people usually understands that MX are for
telling mail to deliver or not to it. Then, if you want mail for
lunch.eat-me.net to be delivered to other place then you should use a MX
record indicating so.

 --

-- 'You tread upon my patience' -- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"

The river is within us, the sea is all about us.
José Enrique Díaz Jolly				e-mail: enrique at podernet.com.mx