Bind 8.3.4 for Cygwin

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 25 04:27:43 UTC 2003

From: "Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net>

> > > Why bother with cygnwin when you can just grab the precompiled Win32
> > > binaries from the ISC Web site? They were built with VC++ 6.0. If you
> > > have Visual Studio you can build them that way.
> >
> >Because I'm using Bind with program (Eggdrop).that requires Cygwin and
isn't
> >Windows native code
>
> Are you using named or just the library libbind? If you are using named
> then it doesn't matter and you can use the prebuilt binaries. If you are
> using libbind then doesn't the dll work with cygwin? I have no idea what
> Eggdrop is.

I just use the libbind library with Eggdrop, using non-Cygwin native builds
of libraries usually causes more problems since Cygwin is a Unix style
enviroment.
Eggdrop is just a bot program for IRC, the DNS module of Eggdrop needs a
resolver for dns lookups. Cygwin doesn't include a resolver, so I have just
been using libbind so far.