Developer needs DNS help:

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Sat Jan 4 11:34:59 UTC 2003

%
% >I am a .net programming developing a control that will eventually make its
% >way into a mail server application.  Since I must query the server for the
% >MX I went all out and tried to follow the RFCs for design.  What normally
% >goes into txt data?
%
% "normally" nothing, TXT records are rarely used.
%
% query 100 domains for "any" and see how many have TXT records.
%
% >Based on the RFC's is there any reason I should support
% >MB, MG, MINFO, MR or NULL requests?  These all show as being experimental.
%
% http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/dns.htm
%
% Len

	TXT is pretty much freeform. When you find them, you can
	find lots of different things there...  binary data, RPSL
	structures, quoted strings, multiple fields... "
	Don't expect or depend on common formats for TXT rrs.

	Is there any reason to not support the RR types you mention?

--bill