in-addr.arpa zone design

Paul Vixie vixie at as.vix.com
Sun Jan 12 18:01:02 UTC 2003

"News Admin" <news at news.demon.net> writes:

> > I don't see why 2 SOA queries would ever be necessary for a single
> > update.  Even if the name to be updated doesn't exist, then the SOA of
> > the closest enclosing zone should be returned in the Authority Section
> > of the response to the first query.

well, not really.  my current "swan song" as a dns code author is the
"bind8/src/lib/resolv/res_findzonecut.c" file, and if you read the
comments there you'll see all kinds of wierd corner cases that can
cause the problem to become iterative.  (to my great enduring relief,
CERT has not yet complained to me about this source file, so perhaps
my run of bad luck is ending.)
--
Paul Vixie