nameservers giving different results

David Botham dns at botham.net
Tue Jan 14 14:24:36 UTC 2003

[clip...]

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:
>
> > 	They still have the old NS records cached.  You should make
> > 	the oldservers slaves of the new servers until the old NS
> > 	records expire.  Either that or demand that the old servers
> > 	cease serving vil.maryville.il.us.  If they don't cease
> > 	serving some caches will stay locked to the old servers so
> > 	long as they have one query daily as the old servers will
> > 	refresh the old NS RRset.
>
> Do you have any references to this behavior? I keep trying to convince
> people at work that this is happening to an old server that I want to
shut
> off, but so far the "leave it on till it doesn't get any traffic"
people
> are winning the argument.

Doug,

You should need no other justification to drop a zone from a name server
than to point out that:
1.  The GTLD name servers no longer delegate the zone to the old name
servers.
2.  The 2 Day TTL on the GTLD name server NS records have had time to
expire after the new NS RRs are in place.

In other words, if it is not your zone, drop it (always wait the two
days...).

Dave...