BIND & DHCPD

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 14 22:27:06 UTC 2003

samval wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to use named chrooted and dhcpd chrooted. I tried the named -u
> named -t /var/named but when I'm doing this way my dhcpd can't update my
> DNS. Is this normal, or am I doing sthg wrong???
> Also is there any possibility to chroot 2 processes together??

I'm going to assume you did something wrong, because dhcpd doesn't use the
filesystem to make Dynamic Updates, and chroot()'ing only affects a process'es
view of the filesystem.

Having chroot'ed named, are you sure it's running the correct config file?
Does it listen on the correct addresses, is it answering authoritatively for
the relevant zone(s), are the SOA.MNAME fields and NS records correct?