834 max# of (concurrent?) zone-transfers

Stefan Schmidt s.schmidt--bind at mcbone.net
Wed Jan 22 11:11:37 UTC 2003

Hi,
i maintained message-ids to the "odd problems with named-xfer" thread but used
a new subject since discussion seems to have ended quite some time ago and
they were discussing version 8.2.3.

To introduce the problem:

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 04:16:01PM +0100, Steve Foster wrote:
> i think this could be linked to a named-xfer backlog, i seem to be being
> capped at 20 concurrent inbound transfers, even though i have specified it
> as 50 in named.conf , i currently have set the following:
>
>         transfer-format many-answers ;
>         transfers-per-ns 50 ;
>         transfers-in 50 ;
>
> in an effort to get it to do a bit more, but i just get the following from
> daemon.log:
>
> named[1612]: the maximum number of concurrent inbound transfers is 20
>

> from reading the manual at www.isc.org is suggests that this is
> overrideable, but doesn't actually appear to be, or are there other
> variables that need modifying firstly..

well, now my issue:
At reload/reconfig 20 zone-transfers are made by one of our secondaries but
some zones are still not setup correctly and not transferred several hours
from reconfig.
Configfile options used are:
server 194.97.3.82 {
        transfer-format many-answers;
        transfers 40;
};
and _no_ additional notify at the zone section for the master.
I changed the following variables in bin/named/ns_defs.h:
-#define        MAXQSERIAL      4       /* max # of outstanding QSERIAL's */
+#define        MAXQSERIAL      20      /* max # of outstanding QSERIAL's */
-#define XFER_TIMER     120     /* named-xfer's connect timeout */
+#define XFER_TIMER     30      /* named-xfer's connect timeout */
-#define MAX_XFERS_RUNNING 20   /* max value of transfers_in */
-#define DEFAULT_XFERS_RUNNING 10  /* default value of transfers_in */
-#define DEFAULT_XFERS_PER_NS 2   /* default # of xfers per peer nameserver */
+#define MAX_XFERS_RUNNING 60   /* max value of transfers_in */
+#define DEFAULT_XFERS_RUNNING 20  /* default value of transfers_in */
+#define DEFAULT_XFERS_PER_NS 10          /* default # of xfers per peer nameserver */
everything else is vanilla 8.3.4 but seemed to run smoothly with 8.2.2*.

so, what value not to mess around with?

regards,
		Stefan

PS: i'd prefer staying with bind8 at this point since i'm graphing rainbow
    coloured queries/s for different query-types and it just looks good. ;)
Stefan Schmidt (Hostmaster)                    | s.schmidt at mcbone.net
Mobilcom City LINE GmbH                        | Tel.: +49 211 53087 433
WillstätterStr. 13, D-40549 Düsseldorf         | Fax.: +49 211 53087 500